STAR (Secondary Tertiary Alignment Resource) is a government-funded grant used to provide year 11 to 13 students with a variety of short-courses in areas that they are interested in and that provide them with skills to help them gain employment.
The objectives of STAR are to:
- provide flexible funding for courses which will better respond to students’ needs, motivate them to achieve, and facilitate their smooth transition to further education, training or employment
- support students to explore career pathways and help them make informed decisions about their schooling and future work or study.
There are a variety of STAR Courses available, some are experiential only whilst other STAR courses have credits attached. Most courses are 3-5 days through a variety of training institutions.
An example of some of the courses offered are:
- Barista training
- Hairdressing and Beauty Taster courses
- Live Sound @ Te Auaha
- Creative & Media @ Yoobee Design School
- Automotive Engineering
- Customer Service courses
- First Aid and Health & Safety
Information on upcoming STAR Courses can be found on the Portal by clicking on the Careers tab then ‘Courses’. Students can register their interest for any courses through the Portal by completing the google form found on the Careers tab under ‘Courses’.